当前位置:首页>真相 > 

中英文稿你如何定义你自己Howdoyoudefineyourself

中英文稿你如何定义你自己Howdoyoudefineyourself

中英文稿你如何定义你自己Howdoyoudefineyourself

本文核心词:

[视频简介]:[中英文稿]:[站内视频链接/4种字幕]:

[视频简介]:

Lizzie

在这个超模就是美貌的代言人,财富为证明成功的标准,以网上的粉丝数量来衡量名气的时代,丽兹·维拉斯奎兹提出了一个问题:你如何定义自己?

丽兹和我们分享了,一个罕见的综合症教会她家庭的爱,以及怎么爱自己;教会她如何面对残酷的现实时紧握勇气,和如何成为自己生命里专属的建筑师。

In a time when beauty is defined by supermodels; success, by wealth; and fame, by your number of social media fans, Lizzie Velasquez asks the question: How do you define yourself?

Lizzie shares with us, what a rare medical syndrome has taught her about love for family and for the self; about courage in the face of cruelty; and about being the architects of our own lives.

[中英文稿]:(TEDx没有官方文稿...提示:下方有长文稿)

Im really, really, really excited to be here.

今天能够站在这里,让我感到非常的雀跃。

I kind of want to tell you

我想告诉你们

a little bit more of the - I dont want to say basics -

关于我的病--我不想说一些基本的--

because we really dont know anything about my syndrome.

因为所有人对这个综合症一无所知。

I was born with this very rare syndrome,

我天生就患有一种很稀有的综合症,

that only two other people in the world including myself, that we know of, have.

这世界上,只有另外两位,包括我在内,知道我们罹患这样的综合症。

Basically what this syndrome causes, is that I cannot gain weight.

基本上,这个综合症使我无法增重。

Yes, it does sound as good as it is.

是的,它听起来的确很好。

(Laughter)

--

I could eat absolutely whatever I want, whenever I want

我可以在任何时候,任何地方,大吃大喝,

and I wont really gain any weight.

并且不会长胖。

Im going to be 25 in March,

今年三月,我将会成为25岁,

and Ive never weighed over about 64 pounds in my entire life.

而我的整个人生里,从未有体重超过64磅的时刻。

When I was in college, I hid -

我在上大学的时候,我试图掩藏-

well, I didnt hide it, everyone knew it was there -

好吧,我没有掩藏,所有人都知道它的存在--

but it was a giant tub of Twinkies, donuts, chips, Skittles,

我所说的它是一大包的奶油夹心饼,甜甜圈,薯片以及彩虹糖。

and my roommate would say, I could hear you at 12:30 am,

而我的室友会说: “凌晨12点半的时候,我能够听见你——

reaching under your bed to get food.

伸手到床底下拿食物吃。”

But Im like, You know what? Its alright, I can do these things!

但是我说:“你知道吗?那有什么?我完全可以这样做!”

Because there are benefits to this syndrome.

因为这是这个综合症的好处之一。

There are benefits to not being able to gain weight.

无法增重有它的好处。

There are benefits to being visually impaired.

视力有缺陷有它的好处。

There are benefits to being kind of really small.

身材娇小也有它的好处。

A lot of people think,

很多人认为,

Lizzie, how in the world are you saying there are benefits

丽兹,你怎么会说,

when you can only see out of one eye?

只能用一只眼睛也有它的好处?

Well, let me tell you what the benefits are

好,让我告诉你那些好处是什么。

because they are great.

因为它们真的很不错。

I wear contacts--conTACT. Half-off conTACTS.

我能够佩戴隐形眼镜。 一个隐形眼镜。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

When I wear my reading glasses: half-off prescription.

我佩戴眼镜时,也只需要一只眼睛的度数。

If somebody is annoying me, being rude:

当有人因不礼貌而惹怒我时,

Stand on my right side.

请站在我的右边。

(Laughter)

--

Its like youre not even there. I dont even know youre standing there.

那就像你根本不存在一样。我不会知道你站在那里。

Right now, if I stand like this, I have no clue

现在,如果我这样站着,我不会知道,

that theres this whole side of the room.

这个场地里还有这个角落。

Also, being small, I am very willing to volunteer myself

还有,因为身材娇小,我可以——

to go to Weight Watchers or to some gym, and say,

到健身房说:“

Hi, Im Lizzie. I will be your poster child.

嗨,我是丽兹,我会当你广告的代言人。

Put my face on whatever you need, and I will say,

把我的脸放上去,而我会说,

Hi! I used this program. Look how well it worked.

嗨,我使用了这个课程,看看它的效果多么惊人。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

Even though there are amazing things that have come from this syndrome,

虽然这个综合症能够带来很多很棒的事情,

there are also things that have been very, very difficult, as you can imagine.

但是,其中也有非常困难的事情,正如你能想象的。

Growing up, I was raised 150% normally.

在成长的过程中,我的父母一直将我像正常的小孩一样养育长大。

I was my parents first child.

我是家里的第一个孩子。

And when I was born, the doctors told my mom,

我出生时,医生告诉我母亲,

Your daughter has no amniotic fluid around her.

“你的女儿没有羊水的保护。”

At all.

完全没有。

So when I was born, it was a miracle that I came out screaming.

所以我能够嚎啕大哭地来到这个世界,本身就是一种奇迹。

The doctors told my parents,

医生告诉我父母,

We just want to warn you: Expect your daughter to never be able

“我们想让你们做好心理准备, 你们的女儿可能永远无法

to talk, walk, crawl, think, or do anything by herself.

自己走路,说话,爬行或者是做任何事情。

Now, as first-time parents, you would think that my parents would say,

初为人父人母,你会认为我的父母会说:

Oh no. Why? Why are we getting our first child

“为什么?为什么随着我们第一个孩子的到来的,

with all these unknown problems?

是这些如此棘手的问题?”

But thats not what they did.

但是他们并没有这么说。

The first thing they told the doctor was,

他们告诉医生的第一件事,就是

We want to see her, and we are going to take her home

”我们想见她。我们会把她带回家。

and love her, and raise her to the best of our abilities.

好好爱她,并尽所能抚养她长大。”

And thats what they did.

他们真的这样对待我。

I credit pretty much everything that Ive done in my life to my parents.

我将我这一生的成就都归功于我的父母。

My dad is here with me today, and my mom is at home watching.

我的父亲今天就在现场,而我的母亲在家里看着。

Hi mom!(Laughter)

嗨,妈妈!

Shes recovering from surgery.

她正从手术中恢复。

She has been the glue thats held our family together,

我母亲一直是维系家庭的粘合剂。

and shes given me the strength to see that shes going through so much,

看见她经历这么多事情,给了我很多的力量

but she has this fighting spirit that shes instilled in me,

因为我继承了她那勇于奋斗的精神,

so that I have proudly been able to stand in front of people and say,

所以今天我才能自豪地站在众人的面前,说:“

You know what? Ive had a really difficult life.

你知道吗?我的日子过得很艰难。

But thats okay.

但是没关系。

Thats okay. Things have been scary, things have been tough.

没关系。事情是很可怕,很煎熬。”

One of the biggest things

其中一样事情

that I had to deal with growing up

在我的成长过程中,我必须面对——

was something Im pretty sure

我确定——

every single one of us in this room has dealt with before.

在这个房间里的每一个人都曾经经历过的——

Can you guess what that is?

你们能猜出来那是什么吗?

It starts with a B. Can you guys guess it?

它是以B字母开头的。

Audience: Boys! Lizzie: Boys?

观众:“Boys(男孩)!”丽兹:“Boys(男孩)?”

(Laughter)

(大笑)

Bullying!

欺凌!

(Laughter)

(大笑)

I know what you all are thinking.

我知道你们在想什么。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

Why cant I sit here with them? (Laughter)

为什么我不能和他们坐在一起? (大笑)

I had to deal with bullying a lot, but as I said, I was raised very normally,

我常常会面对欺凌事件,但正如我所说的,我像正常人一样被抚养长大,

so when I started kindergarten,

所以当我开始上幼儿园时,

I had absolutely no idea that I looked different.

我完全没有意识到,我长得和别人不一样。

No clue.

完全没有。

I couldnt see that I looked different from other kids.

我看不见,我和其他小孩有什么不同之处。

I think of it as a big slap of reality for a five year-old,

对于一位五岁的小孩,我觉得那是来自现实的一巴掌。

because I went in to school the first day, decked-out in Pocahontas gear.

因为在入学的第一天,我穿着宝嘉康蒂风的服装。

I was ready!

我已经准备好一切!

(Laughter)

(大笑)

I went in with my backpack

我带着我的背包,

that looked like a turtle shell because it was bigger than me,

因为它的体积比我还大,所以看起来像乌龟壳——

and I walked up to a little girl and smiled at her,

我走到一个小女孩的面前,向她微笑,

and she looked up at me like I was a monster,

她抬头看了看我,仿佛看见了魔鬼——

like I was the scariest thing she had ever seen in her life.

好像我是她在生命里看过最可怕的东西一样。

My first reaction was,

当下,我的反应是——

She is really rude.

她真没礼貌。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

I am a fun kid, and shes the one missing out.

我是一个非常有趣的小孩, 没能和我成为朋友,是她的损失。

So Ill just go over here and play with blocks. Or boys.

所以,我干脆到另一边玩积木,或者和男生一起玩。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

(Lizzie laughs)

(丽兹也一起笑)

I thought the day would get better, and unfortunately, it didnt.

我以为,日子会变得更好,但是不幸地,并没有。

The day got worse and worse. A lot of people just wanted to have

日子越来越难过。 很多人只想

absolutely nothing to do with me, and I couldnt understand why.

和我没有任何关系, 而我无法理解当中的原因。

Why? What did I do? I didnt do anything to them!

为什么?我做了什么? 我什么也没对他们做过!

In my mind I was still a really cool kid.

在我心里,我依旧是一个很酷的小孩。

I had to go home and ask my parents,

我只好回家问我的父母,

Whats wrong with me?

“我身上有什么不对劲的吗?”

What did I do? Why dont they like me?

“我做了什么?为什么他们都不喜欢我?”

They sat me down and said,

他们让我坐下,然后说:

Lizzie, the only thing different about you

“丽兹,你和他们唯一不同的地方,

is that youre smaller than the other kids.

只是你比其他的小孩娇小。

You have this syndrome, but its not going to define who you are.

你的确罹患了一种综合症,但它无法定义你是谁。

They said,Go to school, pick your head up, smile,

他们说:“到学校去,抬起头,微笑。

continue to be yourself, and people will see

继续当一个真正的自己,人们就会看见

that youre just like them.

你和他们其实是一样的。”

And so thats what I did.

所以,我真的这么做。

I want you to think, and ask yourself this in your head, right now:

我想在座的各位想想,然后自己问自己:

What defines you?

“什么能够定义你自己?”

Who are you?

你是谁?

Is it where you come from? Is it your background? Is it your friends?

是你出生的地方吗?是你的背景吗?是你的朋友吗?

What is it?

到底是什么?

What defines who you are as a person?

作为一个独立的人,是什么能够定义你自己?

Its taken me a very long time to figure out what defines me.

我花了很长的时间,才找到我的定义。

For so long I thought what defined me

有很长一段时间,我一直认为,能够定义我的

was my outer appearance. I thought that my little tiny legs,

是我的外表,我以为是我那弱小的双脚,

and my little arms, and my little face were ugly.

弱小的胳膊,和我丑陋的面孔。

I thought I was disgusting.

我觉得自己令人厌恶。

I hated when Id wake up in the morning when I was going to middle school,

每天醒来,我非常讨厌准备上学的时刻。

and would be looking in the mirror getting ready, and thinking,

我会看着镜子,想着:

Can I just scrub this syndrome off?

“我可以将这个综合症除掉吗?

It would make my life so much easier if I could just scrub it off.

如果能够将它除掉,我的生活会轻松很多。

I could look like other kids; I wouldnt have to buy clothes

我可以长得像其他小孩一样。我不需要购买

that had Dora the Explorer on them. I wouldnt have to buy stuff

印着‘征服者朵拉’的衣服,

that was Bedazzled, when I was trying to be like the cool kids.

我不需要为了成为很酷的小孩而买一些能取悦别人的物品。

I would wish, and pray, and hope, and do whatever I could

我会祈祷,希望

so I would wake up in the morning and be different,

有一天,当我早上醒来的时候,我会变得有所不同,

and I wouldnt have to deal with these struggles.

那我就不必为这些困难所烦恼。

Its what I wanted every single day,

每一天,我都如此祈求。

and every single day I was disappointed.

而每一天,我所拥有的,只有失望。

I have an amazing support system around me,

我的身边,有着很强大的,支持我的力量

who never pity me, who are there to pick me up if Im sad,

他们从来不会同情我,但是当我难过时,他们会在我身边。

who are there to laugh with me during the good times,

会和我一同欢笑,

and they taught me that, even though I have this syndrome,

他们教会我,即使患有这个综合症,

even though things are hard, I cant let that define me.

即使日子很难过,我也不能让这些事物定义我。

My life was put into my hands, just like your lives are put into yours.

如何生活下去是由我掌控的, 就像你们才是掌控自己如何生活的人。

You are the person in the front seat of your car.

坐在前座驾驶汽车的是你,

You are the one who decides

只有你自己才能决定

whether your car goes down a bad path, or a good path.

车子到底往对或是错的方向行走。

You are the one who decides what defines you.

只有你,才能决定是什么能够定义你自己。

Now let me tell you: it could be really hard to figure out

要找到什么能够定义你自己,真的很难

what defines you, because there were times

因为,有时候

when Id get so annoyed and frustrated, and say:

当我真的很愤怒时,我会说:

I dont care what defines me!

“我不在乎到底什么能够定义我自己!

When I was in high school I found a video,

高中的时候,我发现了一个视频,

unfortunately, that somebody posted of me,

很不幸的,那是关于我的视频,

labeling me the worlds ugliest woman.

视频上对我的定义是‘世界上最丑的女人’。

There were over four million views to this video; eight seconds long,

这个8分钟的无声视频有超过4万的点击量,

no sound, thousands of comments; people saying,

上千的留言,其中有的网民说:

Lizzie, please - please - just do the world a favor,

”丽兹,请你,请求你,为这个世界做一件好事,

put a gun to your head, and kill yourself.

请你把枪放在你的太阳穴,然后一枪崩了自己。”

Think about that, if people told you that,

你们想想,如果有人告诉你们这一番话,

if strangers told you this.

是陌生人告诉你们的一番话。

I cried my eyes out of course, and I was ready to fight back

当然,我哭红了双眼,我也准备好如何反击,

and something kind of clicked in my head,

忽然,我的脑海里闪过一个念头,

and I thought, Im just going to leave it alone.

我想:“我不会执着在这件事上。”

I started realizing that my life is in my hands.

我开始发现,我的生命掌控在我自己的手里。

I could either choose to make this really good,

我可以选择,让我的生活变得很好,

or I could choose to make this really bad.

或是让它变得很糟糕。

I could be grateful, and open my eyes

我可以心怀感恩的张开眼睛,

and realize the things that I do have,

珍惜我所拥有的,

and make those the things that define me.

然后让那些我拥有的定义我自己。

I cant see out of one eye, but I can see out of the other.

或许我的一只眼睛无法看见这世界。 那又怎样? 我还有另一只。

I might get sick a lot, but I have really nice hair.

我或许常常生病, 但是我拥有很健康的头发。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

(Audience) You do, you do!

观众:你的确有!

Thanks.

丽兹:谢谢!

You guys are like the best little section right here.

你们是这个房间里最好,最贴心的一群。

(Laughter)

(大笑)

(Lizzie laughs) You made me lose my train of thought!

你们甚至让我忘了下一句要说什么!

(Laughter)

(大笑)

Okay... where was I?

好的。。。我刚刚说到哪了?

Audience: Your hair!

观众:你的头发!

Hair! Hair. Ok, ok, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

头发!对,对,对,谢谢。

So I could either choose to be happy or I could choose

所以,我可以自己选择要很快乐,还是

to be upset with what I have and still kind of complain about it,

为我所拥有的感到难过,并且抱怨。

but then I started realizing:

但是,我想:

Am I going to let the people who called me a monster define me?

“我要让那些喊我是魔鬼的人定义我吗?

Am I going to let the people who said, Kill it with fire! define me?

我要让那些喊着“用火把她烧掉”的人定义我吗?

No; Im going to let my goals, and my success, and my accomplishments

不,我会让我的目标,我的成就,

be the things that define me - Not my outer appearance,

成为定义我的事物——不是外形,

not the fact that Im visually impaired,

不是我的视力问题,

not the fact that I have this syndrome that nobody knows what it is.

不是这个根本没人知道的综合症。

So I told myself Im going to work my butt off

所以我告诉自己,我会拼了命的努力,

and do whatever I could to make myself better,

做任何我能够做的,让自己变得更好,

because in my mind, the best way that I could get back at all those people

因为对我而言,能够报复那些

who made fun of me, who teased me,

取笑我的,嘲讽我的,

who called me ugly, who called me a monster

说我长得很丑的,说我是魔鬼的人的最佳方法,

was to make myself better, and to show them:

就是让我自己变得更好,从而证明给他们看,

You know what?

你知道吗?

Tell me those negative things,

你们对我的那些负面想法,

Im going to turn them around,

我会反过来利用他们,

and Im going to use them as a ladder

把它们当阶梯一样使用,

to climb up to my goals.

好让我能够更接近我的目标。

Thats what I did.

我是这么做的。

I told myself that I wanted to be a motivational speaker,

我告诉自己,我想成为一个激励别人的讲师,

I wanted to write a book,

我想写一本书,

graduate college, have my own family, and have my own career.

我想从学院毕业,拥有自己的家庭,拥有自己的事业。

Eight years later, I’m standing in front of you,

八年后,我站在你们的面前,

still doing motivational speaking.

依然到处举办讲座。

First thing, I accomplished it.

第一件事,我做到了。

I wanted to write a book; in a couple of weeks

我想写一本书的目标,几个星期后,

I will be submitting the manuscript for my third book.

我将会交上我的第三本书的手稿。

(Applause)

(鼓掌)

I wanted to graduate college, and I just finished college.

我说过我想从学院毕业。 不久前,我毕业了。

(Cheers and applause)

(鼓掌)

Im getting a degree in Communication Studies

我将从圣马科斯的德克萨斯州立大学获得传播学的学士学位,

from Texas State University in San Marcos,

我将从圣马科斯的德克萨斯州立大学获得传播学的学士学位,

and I have a minor in English.

而我副修的专业是英文。

I really, really tried to use real-life experience

我尝试用我真实生活的经历,

while I was getting my degree, and my professors were not having it.

来拿到学位,但是我的教授没有因此而让我轻松过关。

I wanted to have, lastly, my own family and my own career.

最后,我想拥有自己的家庭和事业,

The family part is kind of down the line, and my career part,

家庭是我的计划中的最后一部分,但是关于我的事业,

I feel like Im really doing well with it, considering the fact that

我认为我做得还不错,

when I decided I wanted to be a motivational speaker, I went home,

因为当我决定我想当一位讲师后,我回到家,

I sat in front of my laptop, went to Google, and typed in:

坐在电脑面前,在谷歌的网页搜寻了:

How to be a motivational speaker.

“如何成为一个励志讲师。”

(Laughter)

(大笑)

Im not even joking.

我不是在说笑。

I worked my butt off. I used the people who were telling me

我非常的努力往我的目标前进。 我将别人对我的否定,

that I couldnt do this to motivate me.

转换成激励我的动力。

I used their negativity to light my fire to keep going.

我利用他们对我的负面评语来鞭策自己继续前进。

Use that. Use that. Use that negativity

利用它!利用那些在你生命中的负面能量,

that you have in your life to make yourself better,

来让你自己过得更好,

because I guarantee you -

因为我向你保证,

guarantee you -

我保证,

You will win.

你一定会战胜他们。

Now I want to end, with asking you again.

今天结束以前, 我想让你们做一件事,

I want you to leave here, and ask yourself what defines you.

我要你们在离开时,问问自己,到底什么能够定义你自己。

But remember:

但是切记:

Brave starts here.

勇气从这里开始。

Thank you.

谢谢。

(Applause)

(鼓掌)

[内部视频链接]:

------------------

微信公众号文章-英文文稿:

------------------

文稿出现的单词归类:

-------------------

(保存下方二维码,微信扫描即可关注微信公共号).

微信公共号:TEDPush演讲